Thursday 4 January 2018

Ypperlig Launch - HAY X IKEA

Remember back in February when I took you all on a behind the scenes tour of a day in the life of an IKEA Visual Merchandiser? Well... I thought it was about time to give you another taster! So grab a cuppa and enjoy a sneak peak of how I, along with the help of my work faves, bought my designs to life for the Southampton launch of the new Ypperlig collection.


So this time around was a little different; I had the task of not only implementing the space, but also designing it. This was a bit of a challenge for me as although I have designed smaller areas in the store, I was yet to design something on this scale (eek!).

I started off with sketching, sketching and some more sketching... I drew inspiration from a spectrum of places from the PR pack for the collection, to Pinterest and the products themselves. 


The Ypperlig collection is one my favourites so far. I am a sucker for Scandi design and the range was designed from a collaboration between Danish powerhouse HAY and Ikea. Designer style, without the price tag- YAS PLEASE!

Preparation Time...

If you read my previous post, you'll know that being a VM for Ikea is not just about designing scrumptious things and passing them over to builders. We get fully stuck in with the whole process, from the lighting, to decorating, building and styling. 

The first couple of days are all about that base, like Meghan Trainor but different. Prep, prep and more prep! This is where the basics come into play. Sanding down walls, painting, putting in lighting and so on. I'll be honest, this is the least glamorous part of implementation, but roll up those sleeves gal because if this doesn't go well we are going to be up the creek!



As day three hits, the walls are decorated and the furniture is positioned. Soon we will be getting to the good bit- the styling!


One of my favourite things about being a Visual Merchandiser for Ikea, is that we have a lot of freedom on how we would like to style things. We can really let our creativity run wild, which is never something I take for granted.

When it comes to dressing and styling a space, I quite like to freestyle it- without have a step-by-step run down of where things are going to end up. Being able to be creatively fluid on the positioning of the products is bloody great. The images below are some snaps that I took when experimenting. 

 


Implementation...

Let's skip to the good bit... After a lot of elbow grease and help from some of my favourite humans, the final day of implementation had arrived. The styling had been done, the lighting tweaked and the bollards removed. 



 


  


 




 




As a side note, if you were to tell me this time last year that I would have successfully designed and implemented a launch area for a collection such as Ypperlig, I would have said you were a crazy human. However, this being my first launch area, I am super proud of the space and how it has turned out. Oh HAY Ypperlig, welcome to Ikea Southampton!

If you want to know more about the collection, or about HAY- click on the magical links below!


 Click to go to uk site




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© WILDE PHENE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig