Sunday 8 May 2016

Chloë Sevigny's East Village Apartment

One reason I am fascinated with interiors is because I am fascinated with people. You can tell a lot about a person from how they decorate, style and use their interiors. To me, interior design is about having no rules and being completely expressive. Our homes are where we share our most intimate moments and where our personalities inevitably spill out into characteristic spaces.



With this in mind, a regular feature to this blog will take you on a visual journey through the doors of my fave creative humans in their homes, starting off with the absolutely babin’ IT Girl, actress, fashion icon & model, Chloë Sevigny.


Since the early days of gracing our screens starring in Larry Clarke's ‘Kids’ & the Oscar winning ‘Boys Don’t Cry’, Chloë Sevigny has been an absolute style icon to myself and to millions. I was elated to find out that her East Village, New York apartment had been published. First in the January 2007 issue of House and Garden and again in Apartamento Magazines October 2009 issue, eventually flooding into the ether of the internet. 
From here, I found myself embarking on another interior lust trip…


Key features of this ground floor apartment include the original 1862 wide plank flooring and low beamed ceilings, this set the tone and made way for the marriage of country chic vs city location, which was a perfect starting point for Chloë’s aesthetic.


Hallway adorned with Kelly Wearstler Imperial trellis wallpaper. The bold pattern and colour, combined with the soft wood flooring made the ultimate dream team for a striking entrance to the apartment.

Country in the city vibe successfully achieved. Though the ceilings in the apartment are low, there is plenty of natural light flooding in from the city, queue kitchen vibes & boho chic…



One of the first thing I noticed when looking at the apartment is the mix of the old and the new, the eclectic grouping of objects and memorabilia, art and flowers. This adds depth and detail to the personality of the place.


   

Sixties style lamps, plus the Smiths & photography = perfection. Chloë’s style is crazy playful and eclectic. I love that it isn’t an OCD palace. The placement of objects swing from being seemingly planned, to a little chaotic… remind you of anyone?


Monochrome heaven spills throughout every delicious corner of Chloë’s bathroom. The vintage sink and brick effect tile-work is divine. This captures the historical aesthetic of the 1862 apartment.

  

Chloë’s clear love for art doesn’t stop at the door- artwork even adorns the toilet. This is very naughty of me, but I do not know whom this piece was done by, it has severe Dalí/Caravaggio vibe and I want it.


Chloë stated, when decorating her apartment that her main inspiration came from the decorator Bill Baldwin,  who once said,
That said, the colour scheme for Chloë’s master bedroom has taken this theory to the extreme, and not subjected the design to any rules. Period.

As I previously said, for me interior design is never about abiding to rules… However, I do not know anyone else brave enough to have a red and pink colour scheme in the same room. She’s done it though, and of course it looks amazing…

If Jimi Hendrix was a woman, I imagine that he would have a bedroom something similar. Severe bohemian, seventies styling going on here.




Not sure why anyone would say that..? Wowzers!




When I see this room, it makes me think that William Morris and Virginia Wolfe perhaps had a secret lovechild and said lovechild has transformed the guest room into a hella floral, vintage inspired hideout for all of Chloës guests. I think I love it and hate it in equal proportion (no offence Chloë!). If Chloë ever invited me over for a few cocktails, staying in this room intoxicated may be a physical challenge… if you're reading a challenge I would absolutely accept.

All Images & Quotes from Apartmento Magazine & House and Garden

·      Be crazy, be adventurous, personalize and love your space
·      Fashion and design rules are made to be broken
·      Focus on items that you love and would love to be around 
you, old photographs, gig tickets, postcards and artwork don’t have to belong I tidy frames
·      Merging the old with the new is more than okay

Please feel free to drop a comment below, I’d love to know your thoughts on this post and what you love most about your own spaces!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© WILDE PHENE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig