Sunday 27 May 2018

Gods Own Junkyard

After quite literally years of scanning the internet and social media for art by Chris Bracey, I have FINALLY got around to visiting God's Own Junkyard. So get cosy, grab a cuppa and come with me to explore this incredible talents neon wonderland.


Anyone who has previously visited God's Own Junkyard will know that it is really quite hidden away, buried on a little industrial estate in Walthamstow, East London. I won't lie, it was chucking it down with rain and freezing cold, so the walk from the station seemed like an endurance test. That said and done, it was all incredibly worth it. If you love art, a neon light, neon signs or an immersive experience like no other- God's Own Junkyard ticks all the boxes!


I first learnt about Chris Bracey many moons ago in college, whilst perusing some art books. I immediately gravitated toward his striking and daring aesthetic and couldn't wait to see more. Over the years Bracey became known as 'the neon man'. He has created many iconic works for movies, photoshoots and art works alike. Bracey salvaged objects, signs and old movie props- reviving them into works of art.


First things first, I've been on a mini mission- a gal needs some lunch! Luckily for visitors, God's Own Junkyard has a cute little cafe hidden at the back of the warehouse where you can indulge in some brunch, lunch or a cheeky treat. I had a BLT, with a side of caffeine and Red Stripe because I am classy AF. Their prices are super great, with an eating experience like no other. A BLT surrounded by neon art= yasss please. 




It is insanely incredible how beautiful this place is. Even if you don't know Chris Bracey as an artist, it is a completely sensory experience nonetheless. No space has been left empty, everywhere your eye can see is adorned in lavish neon lights, signs and artwork... even the toilet- which by the way is the Dr. Who tardis from the outside.



Depending on the reasons for your visit, some of the areas are a little PG (he was a little known for his sex shop signs etc.), so keep this in mind when taking your little ones. However, for me and my love for anything Bracey and anything neon, it was a dream come true. Sometimes I worry that I big stuff up in my mind and when I eventually visit, it is never as good. This is NOT one of those times, God's Own Junkyard is even better than my mind could have imagined.






The neon wonderland is a homage to Bracey and his creative mind, GOJ website sites,

"Neons are discarded like yesterdays newspapers, unwanted, unloved. Chris has collected these neon and bulb icons and salvages old neons and architectural advertising from the streets before they disappear forever. Repaired and resurrected, coupled with quirky art and powered up to shine like jewels of light. Icons in their own right, Gods own junk yard where neon never dies."


Preeeeaaaachhh Sir. Thank you for leaving the world a more vibrant place <3






I could post one million photos of this place, but the internet is full of them already. I would absolutely recommend God's Own Junkyard to anyone, it is free to get in and a utopia of colour and light- what more could you need!?

Until next time,




SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Wow, this place looks amazing! It’s right down the road from my mum and dad so I have no excuses not to pop in sometime. Can you buy the signs? Are they expensive? Glad you had such a fab time!

    ReplyDelete

© WILDE PHENE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig