Saturday 4 June 2016

Dr Martens, Brighton

Living in Southampton, us Sotonian’s are sadly deprived of a Dr Martens store. Figuring that we are not the only ones with this problem, when I went to Brighton on my recent birthday trip, I headed to the Prince Albert Street store and photographed the DM dream palace to share with you all.



I was lucky enough to get my first pair of Dr Martens boots when I was young. They were super similar to my Dad’s and I felt like the bee’s knees. Since then my adoration for the brand and their footwear has not subsided.






For those unfamiliar with the brand, or for those not from planet Earth, Dr Martens were originally a footware brand, who have since expanded to designing clothing and accessories. Founded as a product of necessity from a broken-footed, World War Two soldier and later teaming up with English shoemakers - some redesigning later, on 1st April 1960, the eight-holed 1460 Dr. Martens boot was born.
1460 Dr Marten - click to buy
Throughout the 1960’s post war ideologies were being challenged, sub-cultures grew and a revolution began. Originally commonly known as a boot for the working classes, the Dr Marten footware soon became uniform for the emerging rebellious sub-cultures of the late sixties and seventies.

Pete Townshend, The Who, 1975- click for source
Dr Marten boots where no longer a practical shoe, creatives, artists and musicians pushed the boots into the spotlight and ever since, Dr Martens have been a force to be reckoned with.




The design of the Brighton Store encompasses the strength and longevity of Dr Martens. Visually replicating the brand's indestructible, raw style and bringing you back to the brand's roots with hints of history throughout the store. This is displayed through the use of wooden crates, vintage suitcase displays, photography and a bespoke vintage Dr Martens juke box.

 

Woods are the primary material used within the design of the store. The natural lighting floods into the space from the large shop windows, emphasising the detail of the colours, textures and tones of the raw interior.



The exposed brickwork, along with the shoe moulds, metal rails, leather seating and industrial design elements give you an urban factory feel. Taking you back to where the working class brand started. There is no misconception here; no pink fluffy cushions will be adorning the store any time soon!


For me, Dr Martens are not just a shoe. They are a statement, they are history, they are a mark of revolution and a celebration of sub-culture. My small collection consists of three pairs of Docs, but as a birthday treat I extended my DM family to the tassled saddle bag. It is the most scrumptious thing. The bag is a little pricey new, but I was lucky enough to get mine on Ebay for a fraction of the price. I am calling that fate!! 




Until next time..







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© WILDE PHENE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig